- Get the guide
- Top ten carpet care tips
Top ten carpet care tips
- Take your shoes off – you won’t just stop messy footprints you’ll prevent shoe soles with grips damaging carpet pile
- Vacuum regularly
- Re-organising/changing your furniture positions regularly can reduce wear and tear
- When your carpet pile starts to look flat, vacuum against the direction of the pile to help lift it
- Your new carpet may shed fluff but vacuum it regularly so it doesn’t clog the pile
- Deal with spills quickly so they’re less likely to stain
- Mop up spills gently using a clean white cloth – don’t rub!
- Don’t believe the old wives’ tales – salt and white wine aren’t good for cleaning red wine, or anything else!
- If you’re using cleaning products on spills, make sure they’re designed for wool carpets
- If in doubt, call in the experts. Your carpet is an investment so it’s worth getting help with a tricky stain
It’s inevitable that accidental spills are going to happen. The best thing to do in many cases is soak up as much liquid as possible with a clean cloth or kitchen towel. If it hasn’t soaked in yet, a final wipe leaving the pile in the right direction may do the trick.
Whatever the spill, remember:
- Deal with it quickly so it’s less likely to stain
- Don’t rub or you’ll damage the yarn
- Don’t use salt or white wine on a red wine spill (or anything else!).
- Work from the outside inwards to limit the affected area
- Use a cleaner designed for wool, working it in with a brush, sponge or cloth, then rinsing
- Refer to our Caring for your carpet page for detailed advice
- If you’re in any doubt, call a professional carpet cleaner